Earlier this week Google released its 22 page Search Engine Optimization Start Guide.
Most of the tips we've been preaching for quite some time (especially their top 3).
- Create unique, accurate page titles. (If you have a website built by us, our system automatically creates "meta tag" titles for you, but you should still be reviewing and tweaking these titles yourself, when you are editing a page, product, etc. this is on the marketing tab)
- Make use of the description meta tag. (If you have a website built by us, the meta tag description is on the 'marketing' tab when you are editing pages, products, etc)
- Improve the structure of your URLs (Again if you have a website built by us, our system automatically creates marketing URLs for you, but you should still be reviewing and tweaking marketing urls which again are on the marketing tab)
- Make your site easier to navigate
- Offer quality content and services
- Write better anchor text
- Use heading tags appropriately
- Optimize your use of images
- Make effective use of robots.txt (Any site that we built in the last few years will have this file. You can follow the Google Guide to see if you have one. Also check out what your robot.txt file says. It should have a link to your XML site map)
- Be aware of rel="nofollow" for links
- Promote your website in the right ways
- Make use of free webmaster tools
- Take advantage of web analytics services (Again any site that we built should have analytics installed. It doesn't matter when we built it. If you don't have analytics, or are unsure how to access your analytics make sure you talk to someone at our office)
If you have a website built by us, and have any questions at all how to implement some of these suggestions into your site, be sure and call or email our office.